1. Mom from Manila | Ramblings of a Mom about love, life and everything else in between: WS Foodie Wednesday: Cooking Before and After the Knot

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

WS Foodie Wednesday: Cooking Before and After the Knot

Wifespeaks: Foodie Wednesday


Kung meron akong dapat ipagpasalamat sa Mama ko
(aside from the good genes), iyon ang pagtuturo sa akin ng pagluluto. Relatives said that I have been in the kitchen ever since I was four years of age. I remember taking simple orders from my Lola as she cook. It started from little things like sorting the vegetables and washing them...to bigger things like wrapping up the Embotido, or beating up the eggs for the Leche Flan (that's for two straight hours). Every good chef needs a good assistant, 'ika nga. You would probably think that I don't have any kitchen dilemma when I got married. But, you are wrong. My mom's side of the family hails from Bicol and we have been brought up savoring on foods from their region, from Cocido to Laing to their own version of Dinuguan. The problem is Hubby is not so into this kind of dishes. He'd rather eat Bulanglang than Chopsuey. He wants his Sinigang with very little hint of sourness. Well, this is how they cook food in their home. MIL is not good at cooking (this is my opinion, it's my blog anyway). You can probably imagine the reaction on my face when he compared my version of Bulanglang (which happens to be his favorite) to her mom's version stating that the latter was the better. Sinumpa ko talaga sa sarili ko na hindi na ko ulit magluluto ng Bulanglang. Almost eight years after, Hubby already acquired a different taste over food. He now drools over my Bicol Express.



But, if he wants his Bulanglang, he will have to take it my way.

Oh, and let me just add my son also acquired the same passion over food.

2 comments:

  1. haha! ako rin, my family has a different version of everything his family cooks and, syempre, to me my family's version is better, hehe. our compromise - if you want your version, then you cook it. :P eh since, i'm mostly the cook in the house, he has no choice but to have it my way. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bulanglang really looks delicious. I wish I knew how to cook it. :)

    Hawaiian
    Cruise
    ,Online
    Scoop
    ,Mine,
    All Mine

    ReplyDelete

Mom from Manila highly appreciates constructive comments. This is a DO FOLLOW comment section.