1. Mom from Manila | Ramblings of a Mom about love, life and everything else in between: Sauteed Okra with Bacon Bits

Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Sauteed Okra with Bacon Bits

I have a bunch of okra sitting in the fridge's crisper for days now. I honestly don't know what to do with them. Actually, super mura ang okra the time we went to the market and since I am scheduled to cook Pinakbet this week, I decided to buy a bunch of them. But the problem is that they are too many for the pinakbet so they have been there for quite some time. I already used all the bagoong alamang so there is no way that they will be dipped in that. I checked on my fridge and found some bacon. Naalala ko tuloy 'yung kinain namin one time sa Max's Restaurant na Asparagus sauteed in Bacon. I decided to cook the okra as a substitute to the asparagus. Hmm, weird as you might say because they don't even have the same texture. But then, I gave it a try. Much to my surprise, it did taste delicious, plus my son gets to eat his dreaded vegetable since it's cooked with bacon. The whole family agreed on this as well. So, if you want, you may give it a try.



Ingredients:
30 pcs. okra
5-10 bacon strips chopped ( adjust this to your preference)
1 medium-sized onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 pcs. tomatoes, chopped
1 tbsp. butter
salt and peper to taste
water

Put the bacon in a pan and cook over low heat. Wait until the bacon sweats out its own oil. When the bacon is done, take them out of the pan. Put in the butter and then saute the garlic, onion and tomatoes. Add in the okra and put in a little bit of water. Put in the bacon and some salt and pepper to taste. (I did not put in any salt actually because the salt for the bacon is already enough). Let it simmer for 3-5 minutes and then turn off the heat. Enjoy
!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Mom from Manila highly appreciates constructive comments. This is a DO FOLLOW comment section.