1. Mom from Manila | Ramblings of a Mom about love, life and everything else in between: FTF: Healthy Doughnuts

Friday, July 22, 2011

FTF: Healthy Doughnuts

Who wouldn't want to take a bite of a freshly fried doughnut? But what if I told you that my doughnuts are made with a special ingredient, would you dare? I have been a fan of doughnuts (especially when served with free-flowing coffee!) ever since. So I could definitely tell you that I have noticed how their size and quality have dropped over the years. And this is the reason why I started to look for the best donut recipe. I wanted my kid to savor doughnuts the way it should.
Doughnuts straight from the panGlazed Doughnuts

So what is the special ingredient, you might wonder. The lowly potato has been boiled and then mashed and mixed in with the other ingredients. I have read on somewhere that adding in potato flour to the dough will give it a soft and moist finish product. I could not find any potato flour or starch in the market so what I did was mash a medium sized potato and mix it to the other ingredients. The result was great! You could not even tell that there was potato on these doughnuts. The kid loved it and that makes me a happy mom.

Ingredients:
1 medium sized potato, baked and mashed,
2 cups bread flour + some more for kneading
1 cup milk warmed
5 teaspoons yeast
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups oil for frying + 2 tablespoons to be added to the dough

1. Put the yeast in the warmed milk. Make sure that the milk is not hot as this could "kill" the yeast. If the milk is too cold then it will not bloom. If you are going to use a cooking thermometer, milk should be warmed anywhere in between 80 to 95 F.
2. Poke the potato and then bake in the oven or pop in the microwave for 4 minutes. Once this is cooled, mash then set aside.
3. In a bowl, mix flour, potato, sugar and salt.
4. Add milk-yeast mixture and about 2tablespoons of oil. Mix until well blended.
5. Rest dough for about five minutes.
6. Generously sprinkle flour on the kneading surface and then roll dough to about 1/2 inch thick.
7. Cut dough using cookie cutters. To make the hole, I use the cap of a bottle.
8. Heat oil to 375 F then fry doughnuts.


Our family enjoyed the doughnuts with chocolate and honey glaze. But they are great as they are, plain and simple. But for me, this is best served with home brewed Batangas coffee.

FTFBadge

16 comments:

  1. Thanks for this healthy donut recipe...this is a must try and I am sure the kids will love...good for pambaon too

    Yum Yum....Mine is up at Brown Pinay's Food Trip FTF No. 21. Hope you can visit back...

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow!! the way u describe it makes me want to try it! good job sis!

    A SAHM Reviews.Net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I love doughnuts as well that's why I'll definitely try your recipe! :)

    I'm a bit late for FTF but hope to see you on my very first entry. :)

    http://www.milfitude.com/2011/07/food-trip-friday-tsokolateng-batirol_23.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I could PLUS ONE you a million times for this recipe, I would! My husband has just started the whole family on a super healthy eating binge but I'm dying for something sweet so I'm thinking I can make these and freeze them individually and pull one out when I'm jonesing for a sweet! Thank you! BTW, I'm visiting you from VoiceBoks! Http://www.couponsmakecentsnow.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I never would have thought, but these really do look amazing! I am a huge fan of that little HOT sign anytime I pass a Krispy Kreme and often have to talk myself out of stopping by. I may have to try this recipe soon! It looks WAY too wonderful.

    I am stopping by from VB. I am now following your blog and look forward to coming back and reading more! And thanks for the GREAT recipe!

    Mandy
    http://atlantamilitarymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, that sounds great. My family used to make donuts together when I was growing up. I think I like homemade donuts better than store bought!

    I'm glad to be visiting from VoiceBoks.
    http://beckfarfromhome.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am hopping over from VoiceBoks. Those doughnuts look yummy. Just might have to try out your recipe.

    http://www.kittycrochettwo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never thought of making my own doughnuts... but it looks great!

    Coffee With Kim

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nomnom!:) I love this! I heard that potato flour does make great pastry, but this is proof enough!

    Please check my post for this week: Squash Fritters (Ukoy Kalabasa)
    Much ♥,
    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anything homemade, including donuts,is always a perfect choice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow, that's really nice and looks really great, you did it so well! thanks for sharing your recipe! visiting late from FTF, have a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stopping by to say hello from voiceBoks - was already following your blog.
    Must try! I love me a good donut. :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that this is a donut but healthy. It looks delicious. Very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ang galing naman! Parang ang hirap gawin but I will try this... one of these days :-D


    Spanish Pinay

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, potatoes! Who would have thought, huh? I'm glad they turned out! -Christine @ Why We Love Green

    ReplyDelete
  16. Homemade donuts are healthier! This is great!

    The Twerp and I

    ReplyDelete

Mom from Manila highly appreciates constructive comments. This is a DO FOLLOW comment section.