1. Mom from Manila | Ramblings of a Mom about love, life and everything else in between: MM: Allergy Attacks

Tuesday, November 08, 2011

MM: Allergy Attacks

Last Wednesday,we had Crabs in Salted Egg Sauce for lunch. The whole family was delighted to feast on the crabs specially the kid. He was even nostalgic because he remembered eating Black Pepper crabs in Singapore last year. After lunch, we took our afternoon nap. When I woke up, I fried the Turon with Bacon and Cheese and then wake the kid up and snacked on the turons. And since that was my rest day from work, I took a long luxurious bath. I was still inside the bathroom, when I heard the kid shouting how itchy his feet were feeling. Hubby told him that he left the door wide open hence mosquitoes are coming in and started to pester him. The kid knocked on the bathroom's door and then he shown me his feet. His feet started swelling and he complained of itching. I finish what I was doing and immediately handed him a teaspoon of sugar. I read somewhere (and a doctor confirmed) that sugar is the first aid treatment for someone being attacked with allergies. This is not the first time that he experienced the itchiness after eating seafoods. The first time was with tiger prawns. What bothers me is that each allergic attack seems worse than the previous one. He was not treated by the teaspoonful of sugar so to speak. I asked Hubby to immediately buy an antihistamine so can drink it. I was searching on the net for alarming symptoms. I read an article that mentioned that swollen mouth is a sign to be really alarmed off. I was not able to sleep the whole night even after the kid was able to drink his antihistamine. I was on the lookout of other sign that could be too alarming. Gladly, after the dose of antihistamine, the sweeling went down and the itchiness became bearable and he was able to sleep through the night.

I hate that this is my Mommy Moment for this week but yes this really is. To be honest it was the first time in this year that I was alarmed of his health. My kid hardly get sick apart from the usual cough and colds. I realized how important it is to know what foods and medicines would threaten the lives of our little ones. As a mom, we have to be really aware of the foods they are allergic too. I talked to my cousin who is a doctor and he told me that I still have to let him eat seafoods though in moderation. This would make his body to produce the antibodies for the allergens. I think it is call desensitization. Though, I always have to carry his antihistamine in our travel bag.

I learned my lessons now. I will always be on the lookout for allergic reactions especially with other seafood and will always make sure that we have available antihistamine wherever we go.

6 comments:

  1. I'm lucky that my kids got no allergies with any food. I just hope my eldestr would enjoy eating seafoods :) hope your son's feeling better now.
    my MM this week
    our family
    Heartifying
    Hobbytat

    ReplyDelete
  2. most people are allergic to sea foods .good thing tha my children are not one of them .we all love to eat sea foods especially crabs.just always have an anti histamine in your medicine cabinet for emergency.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All moms are girl scouts, laging handa, not to mention, laging paranoid, too. LOL! But can we help it? Thanks for your MM visit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great that you're able to pinpoint exactly what he's allergic to. My sister is also allergic to something but we can't pinpoint what.She just getting those hives all over and once her face got swollen. Glad me and my kids are not allergic to anything... yet, hehehe. Thanks for visiting us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that was fast thinking on your part. great job.

    thanks for joining this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indeed, food allergies are awful. We have a friend whose son is very allergic to peanuts that they rushed him to the ER a couple times when the son was able to accidentally munch on some. Accidentally, because he was given by some friends at a party and they didn't know that he was allergic to it. That was really tough.

    Now you will be even more careful with yours.

    And I am glad that so far, my daughter is not allergic to any. :)

    Dropping by for Mommy Moments!

    A Pedi for a Stressed Mommy

    ReplyDelete

Mom from Manila highly appreciates constructive comments. This is a DO FOLLOW comment section.